To get the ordinance passed in our community, we:
- Attended every.single.council.meeting., and most work sessions.
- Wrote multiple letters to the editor of our local newspaper
- Emailed, called, and visited agriculture experts, animal control facilities, farmers, CSA owners, healthy living gurus, and eco-living supporters.
- Met with and spoke on the phone with council members out of office hours.
- Spread the word of our quest on social media.
- Most importantly, for other people involved! Supporters wrote emails, letters, called, and attended council meetings to show their support of backyard chickens.
To be successful, you must:
- Be visible.
- Be courteous and tactful.
- Have thick skin.
- Know your stuff.
- Always have a positive approach.
If you would like any of the resources or copies of the documents we used in our city, please email me!
johnkellilane (at) gmail (dot) comFollow The Sustainable Couple's board Backyard Chickens! on Pinterest.