Do you want to know my favorite part about a long summer and fall of preserving garden produce? I bet you can easily guess.
It's using those vegetables and preserves all winter long.
Last week I came home after a kind of long day at work. My fridge, freezer, and pantry were full thanks to preserving our garden bounty and a hog we recently picked up from the locker. Also, thanks to my meal planning I was ready to cook up a delicious dinner from scratch in short order.
Isn't that the best feeling? Knowing that front-loading a bit of work saves time and energy in the long run?
Enter this super easy, delicious, savory chicken stir fry featuring vegetables we froze from our summer garden. There are two things I love about this recipe. First, there's no MSG and I won't get a crazy MSG headache from this stir fry (like I do when we order takeout). Second, it is the perfect recipe for two people!
Let's get after it, shall we?
You'll need:1 raw chicken breast, sliced in strips
1 c. water
3 T. soy sauce, low sodium
1 T. rice wine vinegar
1 T. corn starch
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 of a thinly sliced onion
1/2 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 c. sliced carrot, fresh or frozen will do
1/2 c. broccoli, fresh or frozen will do
1/2 of a sliced bell pepper, fresh or frozen
1 cup of cooked brown rice
1. Combine the water, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar in a bowl and use to marinade the sliced chicken breast for at least 30 minutes. Save the marinade when you remove the chicken! You'll need it later.
2. After marinading the chicken, combine all of the vegetables, including the garlic, and stir fry in 1-2 tablespoons of oil a hot skillet. Make sure the skillet is hot, hot! You don't want mushy veggies.
3. Remove the vegetables from the skillet (just set 'em on a plate or something), and add the chicken to the skillet and stir fry until no longer pink.
4. While you're waiting of the chicken to cook, at the cornstarch to the marinade that you reserved.
5. Remove the chicken from the pan (just toss it on the same plate as the veggies), and add the marinade/corn starch mixture.
6. Wisk and cook the marinade for about 3-5 minutes, or until it begins to thicken. After it begins to thicken, add all those veggies and chicken back into the pan and stir fry until the chicken and vegetables are cooked through.
7. Serve the garlic chicken stir fry and garden vegetables over a bit of brown rice.
What's your favorite way to feature local or home-preserved produce? Leave a comment, or a link to a recipe I should try.
AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for bloggers and sites to earn advertising fees by promoting and linking to Amazon properties. Rest assured that I only link to products that I use, recommend, or covet :) Clicking on or purchasing something I have recommended from Amazon does NOT increase or impact your cost in any way.